In a written release, Blunt said he endorses the recommendations, which, if enacted, are expected to make a difference in curbing the abuse of eminent domain in the state.
The recommendations include:
- Legislation to define just compensation, blight, public use and good faith negotiations.
- Legislation that ensures property owners are made aware of their rights and that property owners have sufficient time to participate in the process.
- Laws to allow for mediation and cost recovery.
- Laws to protect landowners if the condemning authority acts in bad faith or doesn't use the land for its original purpose within a certain time frame.
- Laws that limit eminent domain powers to elected officials and their appointees.
- Laws that prevent eminent domain use to take farm land for economic development purposes.
- Studying the possibility of a state government official to help citizens with the eminent domain process.
Kansas City Business Journal: http://kansascity.bizjournals.com